Author Topic: The Ubi-Soft Monster.  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
The Ubi-Soft Monster.
« on: February 03, 2005, 06:30:02 am »
It's been announced yesterday, it's just insane. Ubi-Soft plans to hire 1000 new employees in Montreal in the next few years. This will bring their total number of employees to 2000. It's easily going to be the largest game development centers in the world if not the largest gaming center.

As a software developper and a born gamer, how does this news make me feel... Well, in a word, angry.

Now, for a little bit of history. 30 months ago, I had been hired as a student by GameLoft. GameLoft is a small satellite company of UbiSoft that develops games on portable devices (cell phones, PDA's, etc...). Having studied in computer science in order to join the gaming industry, I was very excited by this chance, despite the small scale of games I was going to work on.

However, one week before I was supposed to start working. They sent me an e-mail, nothing else, telling me that because in Montreal we made more money than the students in France, we were all out of a job. It's something that they knew long before they decided to hire me in the first place. It was a decision from the UbiSoft administration in fact.

Nonetheless, one of my friends, who was supposed to be working with me at GameLoft, negociated a contract at minimum wage, because he had nothing else to do. Nonetheless, he was shit on during the whole four months he was there. He found them to be the four most miserable months of his life.

Also, I have a friend that used to work at the company where I'm at. He decided to quit it because he had the oppertunity to join Ubi-Soft. That was five months ago, since then I've only seen him once. He works 12 hour days 6 days a week. He barely had any time off on Christmas. He's driven to slave labour by the promise of some glory... but doesn't even get his overtime paid.

But hey! It's great, he's working on Splinter Cell 3, which should be one of the smashing hits of 2005. *sigh* I don't care much about Splinter Cell personally, but I do care that my friend might burn himself out and that I haven't been able to see him in a while.

Ubi-Soft has a harsh management. It's a huge software box that leaves you minimal creativity. It slave drives it's employees, knowing far well that there are hundreds queuing outside for the chance to work with the gaming giant. It disheartens me, makes me sick.

Two years ago, I've taken the decision to boycott UbiSoft entirely. I'm one of those weirdos who buys his games, but I've not purchased a Ubi-Soft product in the last 2 years, nor will I ever again.

What I do hope, however, is that this expansion might attract other gaming companies and initiatives in my city, Montreal. What I fear might happen though, is that Ubi-Soft will suck the young programming talents and kill the competion in Montreal. And that would be sad.

Boycott Ubi-Soft.

Layson
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Lexx

Re:The Ubi-Soft Monster.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:27:27 am »
Boycott Ubi-Soft.

One word: Myst.

Admittedly, Ubi only distribute game series' I like (with the exception of Myst 4) but I'll happily boycott games produced by them. Splinter Cell is no Thief. :P

Lx.

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 08:28:34 pm »
Splinter Cell tries to combine Syphon Filter with Metal Gear Solid, and fails miserably, boycotting ubi-soft? heh, i thought i was, dislike most ubi-soft games anyway

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 01:18:57 am »
Sounds like Ubi-Soft == arts électroniques
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline wolvy1

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 10:11:11 pm »
I'm in. :)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 12:06:35 am »
Sounds like Ubi-Soft == arts électroniques

i was just thinking that - it seems the games industry has become so competitive that individuals just dont matter any more

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 06:44:47 pm »
The only Ubisoft game I see in my shelf right now is FarCry. I think they fucked with the community by delaying multiplayer patches some time ago. Nevertheless, good game. Can't blame the developers for picking the wrong publisher.

chompy

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 05:03:14 am »
I guess that is the way of how things are. I'd say they are just going to keep on getting bigger and is a major competitor to EA. Alas doesn't EA have a rather large percentile of Ubisoft, 20percent If I recall properly. Not only that didn't they try to preform a hostile takeover of the company and the french goverment stepped up and took a hold of the situation?

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 05:58:29 am »
Actually, Ubi-Soft has been in Montreal for quite a while now. One year ago, EA Games opened some development offices in Montreal as well. Five programmers defected from Ubi-Soft to EA Games, thinking they'd have better work conditions.

However, Ubi-Soft sued EA games and the five guys. Apparently the programmers were going against a *hidden* clause in their contract forbidding them to work for another video game company in the five years following their departure from Ubi-Soft.

Now that's motivation! You're working for Ubi-Soft not because you think it's a great company. You're working for Ubi-Soft because you... just ... can't... leave!

Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha