Author Topic: iTunes question for the band  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re:iTunes question for the band
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 05:53:16 pm »
Itunes is something we've thought about a great deal, and not something we've over-ruled. However, our idea is that at the moment while the CD is selling there's no point at this stage to offer it on I-tunes. If we offered say Music from "deus ex machinae" immediately on I-tunes then the sense of producing a HARD CD would be pointless.

However, saying this.. Eventually, when the CD stops selling this might be explored in more detail.

Would you really want Machinae's next only album to be "Downloadable based" only?

Remix64 is now old, and sold pretty well, but these days sales have slowed to a crawl in truth this is why i want to test services with I-tunes etc.

Should I-tunes prove to work better for us than we expect then we may well change our stance. But, i'd rather try this with an out of date CD, rather than devalue a CD thats selling well like "DEM".

I dont think it needs to be either or, I mean as we've seen in this thread alone some people prefer the ease of buying their music online and some prefer high quality audio

Smeagol

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 06:48:49 pm »
paying to download music? it's wrong i tells ya! ;)

Offline zerofive

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 06:17:03 am »
Neil, I agree.  I would rather purchase a hard copy CD than pay to download the songs, that wasnt my point.  The point was just simply to spread Machinae to many people who would otherwiese never hear of them.  I still buy real cd's over downloading anyday, but just being on there would be a huge step for the band.  Theres problably many people too who just prefer to not order things from overseas which has prevented them from ordering the cd.. just a thought.
-Rob

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 09:28:25 am »
I accept your thinking and to some point i agree with you. Although i cannot see why people would prefer to pay for downloading rather than obtain a physical CD. It's bought in the same way, both use the same systems to BUY. The pay per download way is just more Instant.

Those who order music by download can easily order by post. It's the same system. Maybe human impatience gets in the way ;)

While currently Pay by download is working in extension to physical purchasing if music by download continues to grow as it is doing, it's just a matter of time before we see an end to CD's.

The jury is still out on wether I-tunes actually improves sales beyond normal CD's. The evidence i have seen so far  isn't conclusive.

I dont think it needs to be either or, I mean as we've seen in this thread alone some people prefer the ease of buying their music online and some prefer high quality audio

It does actually. or rather potentially it does. Making physical CD's costs alot of money. For a CD to be successful it has to sell in large numbers. If you half the potential sales of CD's because of I-tunes then it soon becomes obvious that CD manufacturing is pointless.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 09:43:09 am by Neil »

Offline Lourens

• Yay!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 04:04:16 pm »
And then I won't be able to listen to music anymore unless I start using proprietary software. Which I'm not about to do. Meh :-[
"Sometimes emotion clouds my sight as I rejoice in life
I know to treasure my own zest for I am still young
I let my inspiration savior me from mundane strife
and I refuse to go unheard, my truth unsung"