Author Topic: Nintendo DS & PSP  (Read 10355 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Nintendo DS & PSP
« on: December 30, 2004, 04:46:07 pm »
My brother got a DS on import a few weeks back with Mario 64, and I was so impressed that I got my own one ordered with a copy of Ridge Racer; it came through the post this morning. The wireless single-cart multiplayer is absolutely stunning and I am now in love with this console.

On that note, I can't stop myself laughing about some of the huge flaws in the design of the Sony PSP.

Some early adopters of Sony's PSP are claiming serious build-quality issues with the portable game player, including buttons that can't be fully depressed due to their position over the LCD screen, and discs that will eject themselves when the player itself is twisted.

http://www.yuko2ch.net/psp/shootpsp.avi - Link to video of ejecting media

Imagine spending ages getting a high-score on a game only to have the disk fly out before you get a chance to save it. And don't even get me started on the battery life...
 :P

Obviously I'm very much a fan of the DS, which portable are you rooting for?

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
Re:Nintendo DS & PSP
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 06:34:27 pm »
hahahaha ;D

but what does the DS cost? i want one  :D

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 06:44:31 pm »
which portable? probably the DS. i prefer the GC to the PS2 (i always knew the GC was good, but that was before i owned one) and nintendo have come up with some fairly good portable consoles in the past (thinking the GB here). Sony have no idea what the hell they're doing at the moment as well, the original PS2 was great, then faltered along the way, and now with the shipping problems they've been having with their 'thinner' PS2's, coupled with the design faults with the PSP....and you get one hell of a mess

Offline V-man

• .SID Vicious
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 07:21:04 pm »
I'll probably go with the DS as well.

Can't remember which one that had the best specs but i think it was the PSP, and it had weireless multiplayer too if i remember it right. If that ejection problem still remains in the final version, Sony's lost this battle.

Does anyone know which console Square will be making games too? And are the DS-games on cartridges while PSPs are on discs?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 07:24:59 pm »
I'm getting a PSP.

but

I have issues with uber-handhelds. I don't like playing games like Jak, or Prince of Persia, or Jet Set Radio,  or anything that requires dexterity, coordination, and a camera on a handheld. To me, it feels wrong. I need to sit down to platform in three  dimensions, but 3D seems to be the direction they're taking these handhelds :(
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

ddrdude13

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 07:38:39 pm »
DS is sweet, My neighbor got one, and he let me play around with it, and now I want one too. THing is, all of the stores are out :'(

Meh, maybe like next week or something.

I haven't seen much on PSP. But when it comes out, me and my bro are putting our money together to buy one.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 08:04:31 pm »
Mashed: My DS cost me £130 (GBP) with one game, bear in mind that it was imported from Japan.

V-man: The PSP has the better specs by far, but the DS has the advantage of the touch screen which is absolutely awesome. Also worth noting is that the PSP will cost roughly twice as much as the DS and has a battery life of only about 2-3 hours I think compared to the DS' 6-8. Oh yeah, also the DS does have backwards compatability with GBA games which is handy.

Magicman: I suppose the size of the PSP's screen will help a lot with being able to play 3D games, it's absolutely fucking huge! However the games on the DS do seem to be much more suited to a handheld than the games lined up for the PSP, which mostly seem to be ports of PS2 titles. They're good for showing off the power of the console but I personally couldn't see myself picking them up and playing them as much as I do with my DS games.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:07:37 pm by Jammin »

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 08:11:09 pm »
hmm how much is 130£ in crowns  :P

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline V-man

• .SID Vicious
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 08:19:01 pm »
30.00 GBP   =     1,656.70 SEK

Jammin, what game do you get with the DS? And you you have to use a pen for the touch-screen?

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 10:50:28 pm »
You don't usually get a game with the DS, it's just that the place I ordered 1 DS and 1 game from gave me a total price of £130. I bought Ridge Racer and my brother got Mario 64, there isn't much choice for games at the moment but some real gems are coming soon like Metroid Prime.

Inside the box you get two pens, one as a spare. You also get a wrist strap which can be attatched to the DS and has a little loop you put your thumb in with a plasticy bit on the end so you can use your thumb on the touch-screen. However, I usually just use my thumb or finger, it leaves the screen a bit smudged but it's generally easier.

Unfortunately it seems that my DS came with a few dead pixels on the touch-screen when it was delivered, apparently quite a few people have had this problem. Fortunately I've been told that the DS comes with a 1 year warranty for this though so I'll send off my DS at some point and get it replaced.

Smeagol

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 10:54:14 pm »
hark to Jammin, hear his infinte wisdom on all matters DS & PSP wise!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 02:17:33 am »
Magicman: I suppose the size of the PSP's screen will help a lot with being able to play 3D games, it's absolutely fucking huge! However the games on the DS do seem to be much more suited to a handheld than the games lined up for the PSP, which mostly seem to be ports of PS2 titles. They're good for showing off the power of the console but I personally couldn't see myself picking them up and playing them as much as I do with my DS games.
Yeah, I guess I should explain myself.

I'm one of those nuts that will buy a console for one game. I bought my Xbox for Jet Set Radio Future, bought my Dreamcast for Shenmue, etc. etc.

I'm getting the PSP for Persona. <3 Persona.

I'll probably  pick up a DS, too, as it's getting an SMT game as well as a Dragon Quest Slime Morimori and a Dragon Quest Monsters.

But this is all way in the future, as I want to blow all my money on a computer :)
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 09:30:21 am »
I'm inporting a DS when I get paid, Mario DS is fucking sweet, can't wait for Animal Crossing DS either. ^_^

I really want a PSP, just for Advent Children and Dirge of Cerebus (sp?). If they've ironed out the bugs by the US release, I'll import one from there. Region-free rules XD

Offline V-man

• .SID Vicious
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 04:09:46 pm »
What does advent Children have to do with Nintendo DS? is it being developed as a game or woot? Dirge Cerberus seems nice though

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 10:02:56 pm »
No, Advent Children is coming out on PSP before it comes out on DVD.