• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
Re:^_^
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 04:45:09 am »
pffft just drink whiskey!!

or can you get buckfast where your from? its awesome!

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 05:26:22 am »
That's that tonic wine-thing which I think was mentioned here before, in our period of drunken rants, right? (a quick google turned up something about tonic wine, and it sparked some memories). Did a quick search on the wine monopolys home pages, and it didn't turn up anything.

As for whiskey, indeed, that is an acceptable substitue. Actually, it's more than acceptable, it's prefereable. However, I'm chosy, so it needs to be real whiskey, not some sort of american moonshine. I usually go for scottish ones, and checking out the list of what our wine monopoly sells, I think I could go for a 16 year old Lagavulin or 12 year old Macallan. They're both at 479 kroner, or about £40, though (curse the high alcohol tax!); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES so it's not something I'll get myself drunk on. Neither is the Mortlach (14 years); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES which I've also tasted and found satisfying. That one's actually even costier, but only by 20 kroner (£1,50). And they're all 70cl, just so that's mentioned.

Knowing that you're irish, I'll let you curse at me for drinking scottish stuff, and then let you reccomend one of the irish whiskeys the wine monopoly sells:

Clontarf Single Malt (£29]
Jameson (£25)299,00
Old Dublin (£23) 272,00
Tullamore Dew (£25)296,00    
Tullamore Dew 12 Years Old (£32)

I don't mind a strong aftertaste, actually some of the best I've tasted had a strong aftertaste of sea and tar (a whiskey from the westernmost parts of Scotland, I think). I reiterate my previous statement about not wanting some cheap american moonshine like Jack Daniels, though.

Also noticed that they sell Glennfiddich (12 years) in the scottish section, which I think I've tasted and found at least acceptable, to a price of around the same as the Tullamore Dew 12 years.

Oh, and is it so that irish whiskeys are whiskeys, and scottish whiskys, without the e, or is it the other way around? And what are the main differences?

I've had some "whiskey education" while studying, as it's the drink of choice at the amateur radio club I'm a member of, ARK (if I haven't mentioned it before, it's a students organisation, housed in the Studenst Society, a big red round house of much cultural fun and alcoholic beverages. They've got a nice private bar at ARK, and whiskey occupies about 1/3 of the shelf space. Oh, and as I don't have a radio amateurs licence yet, I pretty much hang out there to socialize and drink)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 05:32:14 am by Torp »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 07:35:02 pm »
Scottish Whiskey is usually referred to as "Scotch" round these parts.

You cant go wrong with a bottle of Bushmills, black bush (if you dont mind a stronger flavour) or Jameson

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 08:45:30 pm »
I heard that while every whisky is different, with different ingredients added and water filtered thru different rocks, there are 6 broad types of whisky:

Irish, Scotch, American, and three more I can't remember. Anybody?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2004, 04:00:09 am »
No, sorry...

So, VT, you know the main difference between scotch and irish? I'd like to be educated...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2004, 08:31:50 pm »
Irish is better :p

Smeagol

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2004, 08:33:57 pm »
scotch is made by people who eat battered deep fried mars bars

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2004, 08:35:06 pm »
i fucking love those things,

but, so I'm told by my housemate who works in an off license, a whiskey ahs to spend at least 6 years in scotland for it to be called scotch whiskey...random

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2004, 08:54:27 pm »
Well, right, okay. Deep Fried Mars bars? that sounds rather weird. Normal mars bars I've had many of, but deep fried? Sounds kinda interesting.

Problem is, the wine monopoly doesn't seem to sell real quality (as in aged) irish whiskey, but they sell a nice assortment of well-aged scotch.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd just like to point out that my "spam-rage" last night was not, in fact, really a spam-rage. It came from me sitting here in the wee hours of the night, when nobody else was one, and suddenly noticing that a large amount of the threads had a newest post by me. I then proceeded to read a number of threads I'd previously hadn't, or had stopped reading at some point, and found something to comment on. Generally speaking, it was actually something that I could have commented on anyway, and so the only thing that made it "spamish" was that it was done at a time of the day were the forum activity was zero (apart from yours truly, that is) (oh, and the fact that I did it with a goal, but I could very well have done it without such a goal in mind). I have to admit, I had a few posts that can be seen as spam (mainly the thread I started to brag about it and something that had something to do with chickens); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES but my point is, there was no spam-rage, unlike what Gaijin said...

Just felt a need to get that off my chest...I don't like being accused of things I didn't do.

EDIT: Ehrm, actually, it seems that many of my posts were quite spamish. However, they held a quality quite like to a normal post on this forum, and so I don't really see any problems. My point still stands, kinda...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 09:02:22 pm by Torp »

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2004, 09:08:24 pm »
The Scottish will deep fry anything ;D

There's a story that once a Scotsman dropped his Mars bar in the deep fat fryer. But because Scotsmen are so stingy (money-laundering); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES instead of scooping it out and throwing it away, he reached in and ate it :)

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2004, 09:12:40 pm »
What the hell?
A minute ago there was excessive posting by everyone (replying to all of Torp's posts) and I could barely keep up. Now it's just stopped :-\

You people have no consistency!

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2004, 09:16:16 pm »
Well, it's not my fault. Or well, I guess it is, in some cosmic sense.

Oh, and I've just started writing long posts (relatively to the average lenght of posts in here) to atone for my sins last night...

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2004, 09:21:20 pm »
Well, it's not my fault. Or well, I guess it is, in some cosmic sense.

Oh, and I've just started writing long posts (relatively to the average lenght of posts in here) to atone for my sins last night...

Just don't do them Gravehill sized. I just got bored when I tried to read his long posts.  :-\

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 09:37:22 pm »
Well, as you can see, many of my last posts are actually quite Gravehill-sized. Take the whiskey posts, as an example. Numerous paragraphs of numerous lines, and some even with my patented parenthesis-within-parenthesis-within-parenthesis.

Hmmm...how's that for a mission in life? Keep the Legacy of Gravehills long posts alive?

But nah, I won't write everlong posts, as they take up quite a lot of the time i should be using to study for my IT exam tomorrow. Really not a problem, but it could have been fun to actually get an A or something in it. I'm quite sure it would be difficult for me to get below C, and it's not really an "important" subject, and I'm really lazy, so I haven't been studying enough, really, but still, I have planned to do an excersise or two to sharpen me up. i've got to write code on paper. Stupid, it is...

Smeagol

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2004, 09:38:01 pm »
You people have no consistency!

kinda like deep fried mars bars eh?