Author Topic: *sighs*  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
*sighs*
« on: November 23, 2004, 12:52:12 am »
This is very depressing and I really wish that it hadn't happened to me in a year where there's an assolad of quality games coming/already out...

But I think I lost my spark.  I used to get increadably excited at the mere mention of a new game.  I would spend hours and hours and hours playing games. (I did everything there was to do in FFIII US, including using the river thingy and a autofire joystick to pump my characters up to rediculous levels.  I spent 20 hours straight on Kingdom Hearts)

But even the games I"m somewhat excited in no longer hold that "Spark" For me.

I wonder if anyone's gone through something like this and if so what they did to take care of it?  I don't like feeling this way, it'd be like me growing out of pen and paper roleplaying.  It's something that's been my life for so long....

Maybe I should just loan my PS2 to my Xbox owning frien and my Xbox to my PS2 owning friend for a few months?

Eh, but then I'd miss Jade Empire.. :P
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Vortex

Re:*sighs*
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 01:18:58 am »
yeah i have that problem. lots of games suck for me now because its the same thing, but better graphics. However hl2  has re-ignited my spark. so thats nice to have fun with a video game again.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 01:19:43 am »
Omagawd, Bearfoot's gone kerrazy ;_;

Hit yourself on the head with a hammer :D

EDIT: Install System Shock 2, SHTUP, and Rebirth. Put on headphones, turn out the lights, play at midnight. It'll reignite your spark :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:21:02 am by Magicman »
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline V-man

• .SID Vicious
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:27:45 am »
My problem is quite the opposite, i can't stop playing games no matter how much the suck. No matter how lousy graphics, feeling or story, or how boring the game yet may be, i usually can't stop playing them until i've finished them. Too bad since it takes away way too much time from my "real" life.

But there there Bearfootie *pat, pat*, the addiction will make itself reminded. It's only a matter of time.

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 01:29:34 am »
That'd scare the crap out of me... trust me, I've done it, save not with headphones..

But yah, that's a good point.  Maybe going back to the roots will help me find something..

Omagawd, Bearfoot's gone kerrazy ;_;

Hit yourself on the head with a hammer :D

EDIT: Install System Shock 2, SHTUP, and Rebirth. Put on headphones, turn out the lights, play at midnight. It'll reignite your spark :D
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

chompy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 03:40:38 am »
I've found there are alot of really good games out there, just not many of them being new. Yea I fully agree with bigfoot that games these days have kinda lost their taste, what it means to be a game (looks at doom3, dues ex II). But what I have found if you can t go forward go back. Play old games that you have never played before, play old games that you loved.

For example GTA2, Fallout 1,2 , planescape Tourment, RA , there are stacks of great old games to play.

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 03:41:04 am »
I read this in a book once.

Order an NES with a bunch of games, set up a tent around the TV, and play for several hours.  Then masturbate while playing "Adventure" and staring at a picture of a hot Japanese game developer.

...Yeah.  It was a weird book.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 03:53:44 am »
EDIT: Install System Shock 2, SHTUP, and Rebirth. Put on headphones, turn out the lights, play at midnight. It'll reignite your spark
Hah was just playing that over the weekend. Absolutely awesome.

I find most new games just suck and thats why I have the same problem. It's just massproduced trash that large producers/developers want to cash in on, much like hollywood now. Every once and awhile you get a gleaming gem while the rest of the time, well, its all crap. I still mostly just play older games because the new ones are just no fun. All my friends(they're console gamers) think the games I play such as Deux Ex and SS2 and TD/RA suck. They love all the mass produced trash and think I'm crazy. Meh, nice to know atleast I have taste though.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 06:03:57 am »
BEARfoot, chompy.  The handle is BEARfoot...

I've found there are alot of really good games out there, just not many of them being new. Yea I fully agree with bigfoot that games these days have kinda lost their taste, what it means to be a game (looks at doom3, dues ex II). But what I have found if you can t go forward go back. Play old games that you have never played before, play old games that you loved.

For example GTA2, Fallout 1,2 , planescape Tourment, RA , there are stacks of great old games to play.
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 06:29:53 am »
For explanation about the lost spark, read the Scratchware manifesto:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/scratch.php
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 07:09:08 am »
the Scratchware manifesto:

Everyone should read that.  Especially game developers ;-)

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 08:47:45 am »
I don't think it's that per se though.

I've been revisiting the games of my youth and I feel the same amblivance as I do towards newer games.  

I don't know wha'ts going on.. perhaps it's just the depression clicking in.  I don't know...
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 04:11:52 pm »
If you played through half life 2 and are still apethetic, i think you might be a terminal patient

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 06:40:51 pm »
Im afraid something similar has happened to me.. Since i have a shitty pc i get this feeling whenever a game comes out that my pc wont be able to handle it..  Now even though im getting a new pc,  its been ground into my head so much that i wont be able to play all these new games, the hype has gone completely. I can honestly tell you right now that i did not feel any hype for HL2. Simple as, when i get my new pc, i'll still buy HL2, but it'll be nothing special.. I'll just be worrying that my crap pc cant handle it all the time its installing :p

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 06:43:08 pm »
Im afraid something similar has happened to me.. Since i have a shitty pc i get this feeling whenever a game comes out that my pc wont be able to handle it..  Now even though im getting a new pc,  its been ground into my head so much that i wont be able to play all these new games, the hype has gone completely. I can honestly tell you right now that i did not feel any hype for HL2. Simple as, when i get my new pc, i'll still buy HL2, but it'll be nothing special.. I'll just be worrying that my crap pc cant handle it all the time its installing :p
I have the exact same problem o_q
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."