Author Topic: Military Service, Yay or Nay?  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Vortex

Military Service, Yay or Nay?
« on: November 15, 2004, 10:03:56 am »
bah. college is quite depressing right now. I'm kind of in a state of being unsure of whats going to happen with the rest of my life. Basically Im thinking of backup plans if shit hits the fan. Big one of course is go into the military. I would like to get some responses from you guys think on the matter.  :P

MDX

Re:Military Service, Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:52:30 am »
hellll no, nay to military my friend... im too bombed to explain why, but liike.. ITS RIGHT THErtE!!!

there.. yeah there.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:44:34 am »
Military = no good.

I've been to the military. The norwegian version. We've got one year compulsory service. I didn't like it. Too little freedom, too much authority and hierarchy. And I was in a relatively free position, too...

But then again, I just don't like such society models...all in all, it wasn't too bad, got a few new friends and stuff, but I wouldn't go through it again.

And shooting with an MG3 can be quite fun. Did that only once, though. And cleaning it afterwards isn't fun...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 12:08:30 pm »
I don't think I'm in a position to poll because I'm severely depressed with my own university course. If I had an alternative plan I would leave now, but the thing is I didn't have a plan in the first place: I didn't want to work, so i had to go to uni or be a waster.

But, for me, I really wouldn't choose the military. I have no respect for authority, I have no stamina and I'm not too good at killing things.

For you, I don't know, only you know really. But I'd say no.

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 12:26:06 pm »
YA FOR TEH ARMY!!!!!!!!

I was there for a year :P bhahahahahahah

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 07:38:11 pm »
i voted yes, primarily for kicks but i mean really, if its something your at least curious about why not give it a shot?

Smeagol

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 08:07:07 pm »
50/50

The fact that you said you are depressed plays a big part, it's just a patch you are (probably) going through and will (probably) come out of soon. Just stick at it, if it still sucks, go for the thrills....i mean kills

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 11:24:38 pm »
Nay, definitively.

In Germany there's about a year compulsory military service or alternatively civilian service. I did the latter since I dislike the military's authoritative system. I like my freedom free and have no need of being commanded around and shouted at by people just because they're higher in rank.
But civilian service wasn't better for me and it was a wasted year, especially because I exactly knew what I wanted to do after school.

If you're planning to make a career in the army and like the system, then it could work for you. But if you're just trying to distract yourself to find out what you really want, maybe military service will feel like wasted time in the end.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 09:36:28 am »
Some people, however, thrive on such things.  I'd have to say it'd really depend on the person asking this question...

Military = no good.

I've been to the military. The norwegian version. We've got one year compulsory service. I didn't like it. Too little freedom, too much authority and hierarchy. And I was in a relatively free position, too...

But then again, I just don't like such society models...all in all, it wasn't too bad, got a few new friends and stuff, but I wouldn't go through it again.

And shooting with an MG3 can be quite fun. Did that only once, though. And cleaning it afterwards isn't fun...
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β