Author Topic: Music like Masugn / MDX's music for my game  (Read 30094 times)

Smeagol

Re:Music like Masugn / MDX's music for my game
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2005, 11:51:16 pm »
from what i've seen (and heard) so far, and looking at Spiff's previous game (Hero); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES this looks like it could be one hell of game! although it doesn 't have the graphical nous of games out now, i'm not one of those people who judges a game by how it looks, could be in for one hell of a ride, great work both of you

Offline Spiff

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2005, 12:12:50 am »
Thanks. It's been about three months since I started making the game from scratch, worked a little on it every now and then, but now I'm working heavily on it.

The simple graphics are pretty much a result of the characters consisting of few colors, so they go well together, and it's not easy making all these graphics fit together. I think the varied special effects and smooth character animations makes it look far better in motion. I'm proud to say that the weeks I spent on the actual physics and collisions has paid off, because the physics and controls are smooth and flawless... the enemy AI works well too, and I can throw an insane number of enemies at the player if I want, and most of them have more than one weapon to use (including melee attacks). The action consists of both shooting and kicking, with both the enemies and yourself flying through the air and landing on the ground, then getting up for some more. That's about the only time you'll ever hear someone shy like me brag. :P I'm proud of the game so far. I hope the final product lives up to my dreams - the level design will be the hard part.

MDX

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2005, 12:48:45 am »
Glad to see your confidence in the game shining spiff, and glad to see some good feedback from my piece being made.. quite chuffed ^_^

Well.. to bed with me, but tomorrow i revise, for tests becometh my world this tues and wednesday.. GOREEE!! FUCKING GOREE!!!

Oh well. toodles folks.

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2005, 05:55:23 am »
The graphics really are very nice.  You can't really tell from the screenshots, but the animations are all great.  That unique pre-rendered 3D mixed with hand-drawn art creates an interesting feel.  I'm looking forward to the polished demo ;D

Offline Spiff

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2005, 11:21:33 pm »
Thanks Turtle, though the first demo will be a downgrade from what you guys get to play, to avoid spoilers.

By the way, the Tasen Soldiers (and some other enemies I've yet to make) now duck incoming projectiles, if they see them coming. That means the only way to nail them with projectile weapons like the Rocket launcher is to shoot them in the back, or shoot their feet when you're standing at a lower position then them. :D Example of Soldiers ducking a rocket, which heads for the Elite instead - the Elite is too huge to duck, so he'd get hit no matter what. :p

Smeagol

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2005, 11:34:26 pm »
smart AI? :o that's almost a first in gaming :)

Offline Spiff

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2005, 12:06:03 am »
Nah, even the enemies in Quake 2 could do that, though they stayed ducking for about five seconds, during which time you could just shoot another rocket at them. :p

My Soldiers dodge any type of slow-moving projectile attack, and it only takes them about one third of a second before they're back up again. Only the small, nimble enemies will be able to do this. It's similar to the way you can duck projectiles and gunfire yourself (though you choose yourself when to get back up); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES so this is to even out the odds for the enemies. Imagine the frustration of a player firing the mighty MPFB Devastator at a measly Soldier... and it ducks. ;D The irony of having a huge weapon of mass destruction, and the enemy with some bit of brains simply dodges it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 12:10:10 am by Spiff »

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2005, 06:08:44 pm »
BTW spiff is this game in anyway Ultimortal related?

Smeagol

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2005, 06:40:14 pm »
;D The irony of having a huge weapon of mass destruction, and the enemy with some bit of brains simply dodges it.

it's how most games should be, intelligent AI (Capcom, are you listening?!) that adapt can anticpate attacks, dodge shots etc. it makes a game more fun/frustrating

Offline Spiff

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2005, 10:42:31 pm »
VisionThing: no, its's not related to Ultimortal, except for the Velocithor weapon making a guest appereance (it's the same as in Ultimortal, and Iji will actually be able to use it herself). I wanted to come up with a new story and setting for Iji; an Ultimortal game would just be a boring traditional shooter with hardly any variation in enemies and tactics, whereas with Iji I can come up with alot of things that would fit in the game.

And I just remembered that there is an enemy in Kid Icarus (NES 1986) that can duck your arrows. So the idea has been around for a long time, it's just not been used much. But I think it makes the enemies more lifelike if they don't just stand there and let a rocket hit them in the face. Maybe I should also make them duck when you try to kick them... nah, that'd just be too annoying. It'd also make your kick worthless against such enemies, which defeats the purpose of having a kick attack in the first place. Also, they now duck projectiles wich a success rate depending on the difficulty level.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:44:50 pm by Spiff »

Smeagol

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2005, 11:01:57 pm »
enemies dodging kick attacks? what, is it a matrix clone? ;)

i want a rocket to hit me in the face....

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2005, 04:48:08 pm »
woah spiff sounds like youve really put a lot of thought into this one, i bet its gonna kick ass :D

Offline Spiff

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2005, 02:53:53 am »
Thanks. School has begun again now (groan) but I still try working as much as I can. Today I made breakable Shield doors, a line of text above the HUD telling you what you just picked up (like the little text when picking up ammo and weapons in Doom); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES and showing various other information. Exploding barrels, too. Next is the cracking interface...

Smeagol: It's not a Matrix clone, though you'll engage in some close combat with at least one of the bosses. :)

Offline Outboundlight

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • No Art Films
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2005, 05:52:45 pm »
 :o You mean there wasnt exploding barrels before? what sort of self respecting game has no exploding barrels...

Offline Spiff

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2005, 02:48:20 am »
Yeah, it's always been a mystery what the barrels in games actually contain... usually it's some green volatile sludge, like in Doom. :p The barrels in Iji are more like rectangular containers, with the classic "radiation" sign on them. Having some explosive scenery (on top of the regular breakable crates, windows and computers) sure adds to the fun. :p

When Rare (the game company) got the question why everything explodes or cathes fire when you shoot it in Perfect Dark, Leigh replied with something like, "How do you know an office chair doesn't explode in a ball of fire when you shoot it with an assault rifle? It's not like you've ever tried, have you?"