Author Topic: Music like Masugn / MDX's music for my game  (Read 29327 times)

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
Re:Music like Masugn / MDX's music for my game
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2005, 04:30:57 am »
Some OGG plugins have been made for Game Maker, but they seem to be hard to find now.  Ah well.  I'd just use MP3 for now.  Some day Game Maker will have built-in OGG functionality, but that could be a while.

Go ahead and PM me a link to the game if you have a chance.  I don't mind some spoilers :)

Offline Spiff

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2005, 02:46:34 pm »
Turtle and MDX, did the game ever slow down when you tried it, specifically when firing weapon 8 at a bunch of crates? I don't know if it's my computer or Gamemaker that's slow.

MDX

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
Yes there was a spittle of lagging, but no freezing, the general motion just slowed down.

The bottom 4 weapons dont have the super weapon feature i dont think, maybe the last 3.. or the last 4. And im beginning to get good ideas for the music, i just need to record some drum tracks and then ill be flying that bit extra.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2005, 12:46:37 am »
The last two weapons aren't done yet, as it said in the readme.

That's bad news about the slowdown. Gamemaker appereantly can't handle drawing a few lines. :/ Maybe I'll have to redo the graphical effect for that weapon. The machinegun has been optomized a bit more now, though, and should never lag, even with five enemies firing machineguns at once. I'm reducing the bouncing debris count also, that's actually the main cause of lag. Gamemaker is evidently slower than I thought. :( What's you specs, by the way?

MDX

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2005, 07:29:39 pm »
Some tracks coming tonite i hope, nothing for in game, ill work on that thursday/friday i hope, but a chill out track or two =)

EDIT: sorry spiff man! i didnt read the whole read-me, that was my fault, my apologies once more. Ill get my specs up soon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 07:30:34 pm by megadokyo »

Offline Spiff

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2005, 01:40:48 am »
Sweet! *Awaits music*

By the way, when you run the game, shut off *every* other program to make it as smooth as possible. The full game will run in fullscreen, so that may be a little bit faster too. When I run the game with nothing else running in the background, it's perfectly smooth.

I've also nearly completed the main menu screen. I'll send you the latest demo with the menu included soon, so you can look at it and think of a good tune for it, preferrably something that immediately starts out heavy.

MDX

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2005, 01:46:52 am »
ill be trying to get a hold of my guitar buddies this weekend, their services will prove most helpful in the battle for r0ck.

Offline Spiff

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2005, 12:21:49 am »
That's great. I still don't know when I'll make a small public demo of this game, where I'll show only two weapons, two enemies and a small test level (don't want to spoil anything)... maybe I'll wait until you have a song ready.

The problematic thing is that if people want to see more of the game, will they accept that I just don't want to spoil it for them? After all, the second demo after the first small one will probably only be released when I've come a really long way with it... so, so far, I'm reluctant to show people anything. :p It's odd, itching to show people what I've created, but at the same time wanting to hold back.

I made the Plasma Cannon today, by the way (click for a screenshot).

Smeagol

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2005, 01:30:45 am »
it's.....pink.....

Offline Spiff

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2005, 01:36:20 am »
Um... yes. It's based on the red Shocksplinter and the light green Pulse cannon weapons. Maybe I should make it more red and less pink. :P Then again, I want to make the game colorful, so I'll probably keep it that way. It's not very cool if all the weapons look the same, which is why there are blue, green, yellow, white, purple, red, brown and pink... I want to vary the color as much as how the weapons work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 01:42:46 am by Spiff »

Smeagol

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2005, 01:41:20 am »
it's......pink.......

MDX

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2005, 07:49:05 pm »
http://indulge-uk.com/fallofthestormlords.mp3

Youre pink, bam.

This.. is fall of the stormlords.. a bit quiet but ill adjust the volume for the final version of it, only partly done. Just to let you all know im making lots of stuff and not sitting on my ass.... much.

ONWARDS!

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2005, 08:23:09 pm »
I haven't gotten any lag from crates + weapon 8.  I'm running a 2.4Ghz P4 with my shiny new Radeon 9800 SE (bootleg version of pro :P)

Plasma cannon looks good.  Pink can destroy just as well as any other color.

Fall of the Stormlords...  Is it for Iji?  It would work for the happy peaceful ending/credits.  Now we need some heavy stuff for the rest of it ;D

MDX

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2005, 11:18:04 pm »
Yes turtle it is =) *looks around thread* yep..

and youre right, its one of the emotional pieces sir.spiff was looking for and its not finished it, an orchestra has yet to make its entrance..

the heavy stuff is proving hard without my good friend and his axe, but ill work on it after my exams on tuesday/wednesday

Offline Spiff

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2005, 11:28:05 pm »
It could also work for emotional cutscenes in between levels... there'll be a few of them. The song is great, I love it. :) I've always wanted a song just like this for emotional moments in my games/comics.

About the lag, I reduced the amount of lines drawn by weapon 8 a little so it doesn't lag on my computer either. There's also an option in the main menu for reducing debris. Most people nowadays have better computers than mine anyway, so I don't think it'll be a problem. Also, today I made an interface for accessing and reading the aliens' text logs, which are to be strewn about the levels. You simply press the down arrow to see the next "page" and the message ends when you flick by the last page. Here's what it looks like. Took me two days to create and fine-tune those fonts I use. :P