Author Topic: Music like Masugn / MDX's music for my game  (Read 30750 times)

Offline Spiff

Re:Music like Masugn / MDX's music for my game
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2005, 04:27:11 pm »
Hey guys, some news. My parents have split up - but don't worry, I'm fine. My parents don't have any problems, like alcohol or anything, it's just that they don't want to live together anymore. I've hesitated to tell my friends, dunno why, but at least now you know... I've spent all my sadness on the subject already a few months ago, so I'm feeling fine now, actually.

Me and mom have recently moved to an apartment, and my computer an internet connection is still at dad's house (which I'm briefly visiting now). Development on Iji has come to a halt until I move my computer and get a connection at mom's apartment, so until then, I won't be here every day, maybe only a few times per week, and I can't continue working on the game until everything's done at the new apartment. In the meantime:

Smeagol: To do the "official demo", I merely have to take out the unneccesary stuff and only give the player one little level, it's easy. The reason I've been waiting is that I've been wanting to perfect it as much as possible, I guess. :p I think I'm rather happy with what I have now, so the official demo will come as soon as I start working on the game again, hopefully in a week or so.

Sag_ich_nicht: I'll PM you the link to the full current alpha in a moment. Just be aware that to understand it all, you'll have to read the readme closely. It's alot of information to take in at once, I know, but the player is supposed to learn it all gradually throughout the beginning of the full game. Oh, and you can't hand it to anyone else.

About the red/pink Plasma Cannon, it's based on the technology of two lesser weapons (you can combine the base weapons to create more advanced ones); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES the color is sort of inherited from there. Most weapons have their own distinct color schemes, and there already is a purple/violet one, namely the Resonance Detonator. The Plasma Cannon is red/pink because it's mostly based on the red Shocksplinter weapon. It's so you can associate the weapons and ammo better with each other due to their colors. If that makes sense. :p

Offline sag_ich_nicht

• Battleaxe Asshole
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2005, 05:55:49 pm »
hm, i'm sorry about your parents splitting. :(

i'll read the readme carefully, and i won't give the alpha to anyone. hell, i would even give you some non disclosure stuff. ;)

and that with the weapons combing is nice idea, i always wanted a game where you can MacGuyver stuff together(i also was abit insane about that part[the features from warzone 2100 where to less imho. *lol*].). :D

and now i'll go test the game. 8)

[EDIT]i found a first 'problem' befor even starting the game, reading the readme. the Standardkeys are Z/X/C. Only Problem: On QWERTZ Keyboards(like mine) Z & Y are switched. So kicking is gonna be a bit hard. XD *goestoreadthereadmeon*[/EDIT]]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 06:02:46 pm by sag_ich_nicht »
"Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist.
Children already know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed."

G. K. Chesterton

Smeagol

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2005, 06:45:36 pm »
just change to keyboard setting to QWERTY insert country here? and maybe move the z?

Offline sag_ich_nicht

• Battleaxe Asshole
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2005, 08:29:27 pm »
just change to keyboard setting to QWERTY insert country here? and maybe move the z?
i have a QWERTZ Keyboard. Why should i change the Settings? Also, there are more things like that, i.E. the french keyboard which isn't QWERT at all. A Keyconfig menu would be easier and better. :D

also, for the bugs, all discovered in level 1:

*P5 Bug: After cracking(doesn't matter if it fails or works) you'll allways do one step into the direction you last pressed while cracking.

*Suggestion: make all the superweapons highlight the weapons that are combined to the superweapon like with the Shotgun/Machinegun Superweapon(I'm to lazy to look up the name now.).

*Suggestion: creat something like a action after dead, because else you always have to restart the game.

*BLOCKER: When you move to the area in level 2 where the high security door(cracking level 10) is, you won't get out anymore, even with Jump=10.

*BLOCKER: Same like above, only for the right lower corner, same level. ;)

*Possible Bug: I get much higher fps in the last 2 level, maybe because of the missing backgrounds and all the generaly shrinked graphic?

*Suggestion: Set up something like Bugzilla(http://www.bugzilla.org/).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 09:10:48 pm by sag_ich_nicht »
"Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist.
Children already know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed."

G. K. Chesterton

Offline Lelle

• kung-fu bouff?
    • Lelle's VG-Music
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2005, 11:59:09 pm »
http://vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=1489
That song is totally MaSu!

Really cool remix.  :D

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2005, 09:53:11 am »
Sorry to hear about your parents splitting up Spiff :-\
I know it can be rough.  Glad to hear you're taking it so well though.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2005, 06:50:16 pm »

That song's great!

* Jammin wanders off to download more stuff from their site.

Oh yeah and spiff: also sorry to hear about your parents splitting, I hope everything works out well man.  ;)

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2005, 06:59:07 pm »

lol they just come in to my, top-three-bands list :P

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Spiff

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2005, 01:44:12 pm »
Keyboard settings: Yes, I realized early that some people use Dvorak keyboards and whatnot, but as of yet you can't change the keys. Thanks for reminding me though, I'll add that feature. Not everyone wants to play with ZXC either.

*P5 Bug: After cracking(doesn't matter if it fails or works) you'll allways do one step into the direction you last pressed while cracking.

Yes, this annoys me too, but the only solution I've thought of yet is to have the player press Enter when the green dot is on top of the red dot, that way you won't move/jump/duck when you're done. Another way to do it: If the player presses left to end the cracking, he must press left again to start walking left - but then I'll have to rework the way you move to implement this. I could just wait a tiny amount of time before restoring control after cracking, too, that way the problem will at least be fixed when it comes to jumping and ducking. I'll see what I can do.

*Suggestion: make all the superweapons highlight the weapons that are combined to the superweapon like with the Shotgun/Machinegun Superweapon(I'm to lazy to look up the name now.).

Okay, maybe I'll highlight the "lesser" of the combined weapons with a darker shade. You still need to know which ammo type you are using, after all, that's the important thing.

*Suggestion: creat something like a action after dead, because else you always have to restart the game.

All I can say is, "It's an alpha demo". :p I haven't done anything related to death yet. You can press F2 to restart the game though. Maybe I'll just automatically restart the level when you die, for now.

*BLOCKER: When you move to the area in level 2 where the high security door(cracking level 10) is, you won't get out anymore, even with Jump=10.

I know. You can't even raise your Jump stat in the "official" demo either. :p I figured it would give a little more replay value to the demo with a branching path, but maybe I should add some "stairs" to let you escape. Oh, and the highest Jump level is 3. I hope the HUD is clear enough about the stats.

*Possible Bug: I get much higher fps in the last 2 level, maybe because of the missing backgrounds and all the generaly shrinked graphic?

Yes. The layer of tiles in the background use alot of resources on slower machines. Optimal performance is 29-30 FPS. If you're experiencing slowdown to the extent that it gets unplayable, you'll probably need a better computer, or more video memory... I have a 850 Mhz with 320 Mb RAM and a TNT2 card, and the only time I experience lag is when firing weapon 8 (both regular and super version) while alot of debris is bouncing around on the screen. On a fast computer in school, it runs at a constant 30 FPS. I hope people won't play it on too old computers... :( Unfortunately the only way to optimize it further is to use a "real" programming language instead of Gamemaker, but I'm sadly not fluent in any such language.

*Suggestion: Set up something like Bugzilla(http://www.bugzilla.org/).

Hm. I don't know much about setting up such a site though... I could host it on my own server, but I'm not that good with making such a site. I'm going to post this game on a gamemaking message board or two, so that way people can just tell me the bugs they find in the thread.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and support. I hope you don't mind if I hire your bug-testing services for the next demo. :)

And thanks for the consolations. I'm feeling fine about my situation. I recently got back some NES games that my cousins borrowed many years ago, and I
fired up Life Force, which I used to suck at. Now I breezed through it without dying once, except for at the end after the final boss. Maybe Ikaruga has hardened me. :p I also managed to fire up Zelda. Today I'll play it like a maniac. :) I'll resume working on Iji when I can. In the meantine, you guys could always try out a retro Klik'n'Play game I made, Hero. I don't use Klik'n'Play anymore, as it often crashes and is far inferior to Gamemaker, but this game proves that you can make rather good games with it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 01:53:26 pm by Spiff »