Author Topic: Success of D.E.M.  (Read 12864 times)

Offline Lomion

• grouser
Success of D.E.M.
« on: October 25, 2004, 01:35:32 am »
From what Neil said in another thread I understand that nearly 1,000 copies of Deus Ex Machinae have been sold by now. I don't know about you but that seems like a whole bunch to me for an album that was mainly sold over the internet.

However, I have no real grasp of how big Machinae's fan community really is and how much success the band members or MbD were expecting. So I think it would be nice to give some account for the time since D.E.M. was released. Maybe this question has been discussed during one of my several absences. In that case, I'll willingly hand in my soul for endless damnation in the ninth level of hell. If no one suggests some better way to deal with this undescribable shame that I have loaded onto my sorry being, that is.

Whatever! My questions would be:

- How satisfied are the band members and Neil/MbD with the success/failure of D.E.M.?
- What kind of reactions from the 'public' did the band receive after the release of it's first album?
- Did there actually were actual real life or other kind of stores that were willing to sell D.E.M.?

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
Re:Success of D.E.M.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 03:40:00 am »
i can answer at the my part to that, and by the way interesting questions too.

1) Personally, MbD are delighted with the progress of the CD, its outweighed our expectations.  We would class it has a Success

2) To us, we''ve had nothing but great reaction from our customers, the media and the like have been disapointing, but i was not too suprised about that!

3) It is not available via any other method than the Internet currently, we have tried, but it's a bigger task than anyone not connected with the buisness can ever comprehend.

Also on this point may i add actually getting into into "real life" distribution does not mean an improvement in sales or indeed an "out there in the big world" ideal.  Shamefully, Machinae would need to sell 4 times as many CD's to make the same income with real life distribution. Unless you sell in huge quantities  most band are now turning to alternative labels like myself as it does give them a more personal feel and a better more firendlier co-op!

Unfortunately, its getting harder and harder for bands now to get onto large name labels such as EMI etc... This is because of piracy! yep, the word none of you like "PIRACY!". Maybe 5-10 years ago a big label might have taken the risk with a band like Machinae Supremacy, but now the risks are becoming too much even for big labels to try. It's bouncing back all way through the industry i'm afraid.

The plus point to it, is that labels like MbD have sprung up to great effect, but even we are now feeling the punch. I have turned down so many bands over the last few month it's increadible, just because i dare not take the risk with them!

The bad news is that due to piracy mostly, the days of pyshical publishing will soon come to an end.  The future is Digital download - not something that thrills me really!

So to sum up question 3. I'd say 75% of the reason we do not see MS in the shops at the moment is due to risk, and thats because of piracy!

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 04:14:58 am »
We are pleased... Considering that Deus Ex Machinae is an independent underground release not available in stores or even promoted publically (to any extent); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES selling out the first print in half the time we'd hoped is very nice...

The only regret is the fact that it doesn't reach those people who are afraid of the internet and internet shopping...  We get a lot of fanmails that say "I don't want to buy over the net, please let me know when the album is available in shops" and stuff like that...

The negative album feedback we've received, besides the overall positive stuff, is perhaps that some people had expected DXM to be heavier and more aggressive than it turned out... To be honest, so had we. :) Other than that, it's mainly been stuff about particular song details, like someone thinking there are too many songs, that one or two songs do not belong, or even that a part of a song should be there, etc...

The positive feedback however has been _very_ positive... Almost everyone, even the people who still are not "amazed" by the album, still think it's an amazing debut album. Everyone has their personal favourite, and it varies greatly, but even so pretty much everyone feels that no song sucks, there are no "weak" tracks...

I'd say we can be pretty pleased with the feedback ... :)

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 05:00:48 am »

The only regret is the fact that it doesn't reach those people who are afraid of the internet and internet shopping...  We get a lot of fanmails that say "I don't want to buy over the net, please let me know when the album is available in shops" and stuff like that...

Again, whatever happened even with the LARGE labels, to find it in a store across the world is very rare. I thought it might have been possible in a few countries, but it would never ever had reached all over the world. So it's likely even if it got into the shops then many wouldn't have that luxary of buying it there.

Still, despite that, still would have been nice, i do concur!

Offline Vortex

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 06:21:20 am »
1. Everything was top-notch. Only complaint is me and my friends cd case were cracked when we recieved them

2. praise praise praise

3. Hell if I know
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 06:22:14 am by Vortex »

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 10:50:13 am »
For people who don't want to buy it online, some indie record stores will buy it for you. My local indie was fine with buying me CDs I couldn't get because I didn't have a credit card at the time. Its always worth asking, espically since those are the kind of stores that appriciate these types of releases.

Offline Lomion

• grouser
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 12:40:34 pm »
I just want to say thank you for the quick and comprehensive replies! Seems like we shouldn't be worried about D.E.M.'s success. It'll be interesting to see how the next album will do. It is a pity that the industry is suffering that much from piracy. The idea of a music culture based on internet downloads... bwah, don't like that thought. But looking at the developments, something like that seems probable. I can always only hope for the 'loyalty' of fans towards their favourite bands. Loyalty isn't the right word either, 'cause that could imply buying CDs even when the band quality is starting to fade. But as long as one likes their work... well, I think we all agree on that point.

Anyway, good luck for the next album, Machinae!

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 01:20:40 pm »
Hehe, this is a sign of good times to come, long, sensible posts are coming back hmm? :)

The negative album feedback we've received, besides the overall positive stuff, is perhaps that some people had expected DXM to be heavier and more aggressive than it turned out... To be honest, so had we. :)

Off-topic but i think this is a hint that the next album is going to be more aggressive and heavy. Keep up the good work MaSu!

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 01:52:17 pm »
For people who don't want to buy it online, some indie record stores will buy it for you. My local indie was fine with buying me CDs I couldn't get because I didn't have a credit card at the time. Its always worth asking, espically since those are the kind of stores that appriciate these types of releases.

The problem is with that is that even indie stores only purchase from mainline distributors. Record Stores (even indie stores) nearly always deal with distributors. Now, how do we get a mainline distributor? well the age old problem occurs, convincing them.

In the past, it might have been possible to walk straight into an indie shop with a CD and get them to buy it. These days very unlikely!

and yes, we have tried! ;)

Laser Turret

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 01:56:04 pm »
I'm really hating the way music is going at the moment. And I don't like to think that in the future all our albums will only be available thru download. I like CDs. I like the booklets and the act of choosing your album and then placing the CD in the CD player. Without CDs and their cases, the music seems to hav no image - no front cover to draw you in.

I admit that I have downloaded a few albums (even on my 56k!) and copied a lot off friends, but that is only because I could not imagine spending so much on all these albums when I'm living off a student budget. As soon as I get a full-time job, I'm gonna make sure I'm comfortable, then I'm gonna buy all the music albums that I wish I could've back then (and then I'll buy all the anime and manga I'm falling behind on).

I don't like piracy, but atm if I don't take part of it, I'd be unable to hear anything (not literally of course)

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 01:58:43 pm »
Neil...

Maybe the fact that the first print is almost sold out would be worth something ... I know that in the grande scheme of things 1000 albums ain't much, but who knows... Maybe worth contacting those you contacted before again, just to inform them how things have progressed and again ask them to reconsider...  ::)

Just a thought.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Smeagol

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 02:50:47 pm »
I'm really hating the way music is going at the moment. And I don't like to think that in the future all our albums will only be available thru download. I like CDs. I like the booklets and the act of choosing your album and then placing the CD in the CD player. Without CDs and their cases, the music seems to hav no image - no front cover to draw you in.

I admit that I have downloaded a few albums (even on my 56k!) and copied a lot off friends, but that is only because I could not imagine spending so much on all these albums when I'm living off a student budget. As soon as I get a full-time job, I'm gonna make sure I'm comfortable, then I'm gonna buy all the music albums that I wish I could've back then (and then I'll buy all the anime and manga I'm falling behind on).

I don't like piracy, but atm if I don't take part of it, I'd be unable to hear anything (not literally of course)

Yeh, same with me, I download music to get an idea of what a band's like, if they're pretty good/great, then i'll get an album (or two, maybe) but if they're not as good as some of my favourite bands, I wno't buy the album, why spend money on something I'm not gonna listen to for  insanely long periods? (like Deus Ex Machinae, it STILL hasn't come out of my CD player, which it's been in since 13th may ;D)

Sidetracking a bit now, how the hell can the BPI (British Phonagraphic? Industry) try and sue people who download music? If i remember correctly, they tried that over in America and ended up suing a little kid, great plan.

Back to the main point, I feel that the album is absolutly brilliant, and nothing that's gonna happen will change that, it, shame that it hasn't  reached a more mainstream distribution, but with a band like Machinae, it doesn't seem too likely, the only way it's gonna happen is if you guys release a video so a bunch of 11 year old etc, will see you guys playing and think 'oo good band yay!' and so you get swampage of little kids here (more so than now ;D) Seems a shame, but it seems it's gonna be the only way nowadays, unless of course you wait for mass downloading to come to the for as a means of gauging success in which case you guys are up there with the best!

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 11:06:42 pm »
Neil...

Maybe the fact that the first print is almost sold out would be worth something ... I know that in the grande scheme of things 1000 albums ain't much, but who knows... Maybe worth contacting those you contacted before again, just to inform them how things have progressed and again ask them to reconsider...  ::)

Just a thought.

a good thought too, no harm in trying!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 11:10:43 pm »
Yeh, same with me, I download music to get an idea of what a band's like, if they're pretty good/great, then i'll get an album (or two, maybe)
Yeah. Thanks to Int0rnet, I found out about Blind Guardian - one of the most win power metal bands evar. I went out and bought some albums, was happy.

What I don't like is people who pirate for the sake of pirating, and professional pirates. They need big stabby death in the bowels.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Neil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 11:16:12 pm »

Yeh, same with me, I download music to get an idea of what a band's like, if they're pretty good/great, then i'll get an album (or two, maybe) but if they're not as good as some of my favourite bands, I wno't buy the album, why spend money on something I'm not gonna listen to for  insanely long periods? (like Deus Ex Machinae, it STILL hasn't come out of my CD player, which it's been in since 13th may ;D)

Sidetracking a bit now, how the hell can the BPI (British Phonagraphic? Industry) try and sue people who download music? If i remember correctly, they tried that over in America and ended up suing a little kid, great plan.

Back to the main point, I feel that the album is absolutly brilliant, and nothing that's gonna happen will change that, it, shame that it hasn't  reached a more mainstream distribution, but with a band like Machinae, it doesn't seem too likely, the only way it's gonna happen is if you guys release a video so a bunch of 11 year old etc, will see you guys playing and think 'oo good band yay!' and so you get swampage of little kids here (more so than now ;D) Seems a shame, but it seems it's gonna be the only way nowadays, unless of course you wait for mass downloading to come to the for as a means of gauging success in which case you guys are up there with the best!

MbD certainly has zero problems with the try before you buy ethic, infact that would be something we'd embrace. Infact if someone wishes to download it to try it before they spend their hard earn cash then they have my blessing.

What is soul destroying and potentially damaging is the people who think they will get slightly famous by slamming it on p2p's. and taking credit for it for "sharing".

Piracy has always been there since the invention of the cassette tape. Personal piracy i have little problem with, but mass piracy is causing the whole thing to collapse.

The reason why downloading digitally will come in is because every copy sold can be traced to each individual who purchased it. At the moment that carn't be traced, although bit-torrent isn't that difficult.

Not only that, but it soon becomes very obvious just how much money can be saved through manufacturing. i have no doubt that because of piracy, digital downloading will be the norm. it's even something we at MbD are gearing towards for the future. The time is not quite right yet, but it is only a matter of time! we don't want to go down that avenue, but we have to be ready when the revolution really takes off..... and it will!