Author Topic: Which Final Fantasy?  (Read 6791 times)

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
Which Final Fantasy?
« on: September 23, 2004, 01:09:54 am »
w00t. This should be an interesting one..

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
Re:Which Final Fantasy?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:13:57 am »
Rikku is hot! 10 wins!

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 01:18:55 am »
Neither! Final Fantasy Tactics was the best one of the series. Mostly because it did not have the FF feel at all. It wasn't focused around someone trying to become God, or destroy the planet to cleanse it of evil. It was a highly political intrigue with one of the most messed up (read: Good) endings in an RPG.

Plus, the soundtrack was incredible and the battle system was interesting (although it could have used larger scale battles at times).

Amongst the rest... I don't know. FF6 was pretty good, although I wouldn't tag it the best RPG of all time. FF4 was nice, and FF1 was the mother of console RPGs (and it's very funny, yet boring, to play today.

FF7 had graphics in which I couldn't understand what was going on (read last post in worst game ever); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES and I wanted to punch Cloud in the face so often I had to buy a new TV.

FF8 had horrible main characters who all shared the same background... and... one word. Draw.

FF9 looked cool, but I only got to play it for 6 hours. But it seems to be cutesy, amusing and yet epic. I probably would have enjoyed it, although I've been told that the story quickly takes a traditionnal FF line afterwards... And there's Quina.

I haven't played FF10, but my brother who has played them all since the 6th told me that it had the worst story of the lot. So I didn't approach it with a 10 foot pole.

Layson
Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline V-man

• .SID Vicious
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 01:52:28 am »
I would also go with FF tactics. i recently completed it, and it takes a good game to make me play psx again. Great skill-system, great story, great characters (nice cameo of aeris and cloud); INSERT INTO yabbse_messages (ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterEmail, posterTime, posterIP, smiliesEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, body, icon, attachmentSize, attachmentFilename) VALUES and a great ending.

FF7 is probably the next best in line. The graphics wasn't really good, compare it to FF8, there's a huge difference. But the story was good, and it had some cool characters, and  the game has a really dark and violent tone.

FFX wins the prize for best soundtrack, didn't like it that much though. Tidus is such a whiner. I haven't played FF9 and i don't think i will either, i dont't like that childish look of it.

Offline Bearfoot

• They're coming to take me away ha ha!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 02:08:47 am »
All of the above, save eight.  Eight was too needlessly complicated and boring for me.
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 05:26:44 am »
FF8 because it managed to maintain my attention and be interesting. FF7 because the battle system was faster than the rest.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 06:22:09 am »
Opinion on what's out about the new FF?

Not to mention opinion on an actual apparent FF7 GAME spin off?  

It's supposedly to star what's his name, the guy who turned into monsters.. the optional character.

And get this, roumor has it that it's going to be inspired by Devil May Cry...
I'm only one, but still I am one.  I can't do everything, but I can do something-
Hellen Kieller

"There are never enough reasons to get drunk. I, for example am going out tomorrow to celebrate.. um.. Tuesday.:
Lexx β

chompy

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 06:50:18 am »
I've only played 7 & 8, and not for very long mind you. I still reckon that chrono trigger is one of the best rpgs on the console for its time.

Offline Layson Juravis

• R.I.P. Max
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 07:11:35 am »
To me, the best console RPGs are the Suikodens, especially the first 2. Quick battle systems, endearing characters and an epic plot with political twists that diverts from the usual Good vs Evil.

Another visitor...
Stay a while...
Stay forever!!

Mouhouhouhahaha

Offline Turtle

• I'm a turtle!
    • Turtle's Site
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 07:39:09 am »
Favorite overall: 6.
Best memories at least.  Haven't had a lot of experiences with new ones other than 7, but 6 stands out in my mind as one of my favorite games ever.

Offline Bearfoot

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 08:13:33 am »
Favorite memory wise, the US FFIII.

I still get misty eyed when I hear the opera music.

Good stuff.

I've done everything there is to do in that game.  Me in my friend (who incidently is due to visit any second now...)
Hellen Kieller

Lexx β

Offline Valentine Revolution

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 09:27:45 am »
You're *in* your friend? Doesn't that hurt?  :P

Anyway, I'd say 7 is my favourite because if I hadn't played it I'd never be as big a gamer as I am now, and I'd never have gotten into anime either. I just love everything about it, and Vincent is my fave character, the scene in Lucrecia's waterfall makes me cry every single time. 6 also deserves an honorable mention because of the opera scene. I love Celes.

MDX

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 10:46:39 am »
FF8 had me hooked for months, i WANTED TO BE IN THE GAME.. then something happened and i got stuck in the game, then i woke up.. fucking lame.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 04:51:41 am »
Opinion on what's out about the new FF?

Not to mention opinion on an actual apparent FF7 GAME spin off?  

It's supposedly to star what's his name, the guy who turned into monsters.. the optional character.

And get this, roumor has it that it's going to be inspired by Devil May Cry...
If it's similar to the first DMC, god damn win. If it's like the second one, suck.

Vincent == best character in FF
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 09:07:48 pm »
Agreed. :)